Table of Contents
How do I remove speedo cable?
In there lies the speedometer cable—a thick black wire. Remove the bolts and nuts which connect the speedometer cable to the dash board. Once done, you will get access to the old speedometer cable. Remove the nuts, clamps and engine compartments from the dash board and pull out the old cable through the passage.
Where is the speedometer cable located?
Slide underneath the dashboard on the driver’s side with the shop light. Look up under the dash, and locate the cable where it screws into the back of the speedometer cluster. Use a pair of pliers to unscrew the cap screw and pull it free. Use pliers to remove the horseshoe spring clip, if so equipped.
How much does it cost to replace a speedometer cable?
If it does need to be replaced, fitting a new cable will cost around $60 to $285 depending on the vehicle make and model and how difficult it is to get access behind the speedo gauge. Some vehicles include the speedo housing and cable all in one unit, with the housing being part of the assembly.
Why does my speedometer go crazy?
While you are driving, if you notice the needle on the speedometer jumps erratically from one number to another, the speedometer cable is most likely damaged or the sensors on the driveshaft are not accurately sending the signal through the cable. If this occurs, the entire cable and housing needs to be replaced.
Are all speedometer cables the same?
SPEEDOMETER CABLES are not all the same. Typical Speedometer Cable and Housings bought at an Auto Parts Store or by Mail Order are usually made from a plastic tube with maybe a little bit of wire mesh as a one size fit all. Or you might have to assemble it yourself and hope you do it right.
How do I know if my speedometer cable is bad?
Symptoms of a Bad or Failing Speedometer Cable
- Speedometer needle wavers. The speedometer is supposed to move fluidly as the vehicle accelerates or decelerates.
- Squealing noises behind dashboard. A squealing noise is never a good signal.
- Speedometer needle does not move.
- Check Engine Light comes on.
How do I change the speedo cable in Talbot Express?
- Remove the 2 cross-head screws at the top of the instrument cluster.
- Pull the Cluster forwards CAREFULLY and unclip the 3 (4 on diesels) cable connectors.
- You can now reach the speedometer cable.
- To remove the cable squeeze the sides of the white connector where it attaches to the angle-drive.