Menu Close

How did the island of Antigua get its name?

How did the island of Antigua get its name?

History of Antigua and Barbuda. Antigua was visited in 1493 by Christopher Columbus, who named it for the Church of Santa Maria de la Antigua in Sevilla, Spain. It was colonized by English settlers in 1632 and remained a British possession although it was raided by the French in 1666.

What was the first town in Antigua?

From about 1820 it became to be known as Clarence House. The house was then being used by the Governor of the Leeward Islands as his country residence. This present day village near English Harbour is supposed to have been the first town of Antigua.

How does Antigua make their money?

The economy of Antigua and Barbuda is service-based, with tourism and government services representing the key sources of employment and income. Tourism accounts directly or indirectly for more than half of GDP and is also the principal earner of foreign exchange in Antigua and Barbuda.

How did Antigua and Barbuda get its name?

This is another large village in the centre of the island. Here four parishes named after a Saint converge. This gave rise to the naming of All Saints Church in the 19th century. Later houses began to be built around the church.

Which is the smallest island of Antigua and Barbuda?

Redonda, the smallest of the three islands that constitute the nation of Antigua and Barbuda. Redonda is located among the Lesser Antilles in the eastern Caribbean Sea, approximately 35 miles (55 km) from the nearest point in Antigua, to the east.

How did Antigua and Barbuda get its rock?

The island of Antigua was born out of the sea by a volcano about 30 million years ago. A young island in geologic time. On the northern flank of this volcano, reefs were formed, hence the greater part of Antigua is low lying and is composed of limestone rock.

When was St John’s Cathedral in Antigua built?

Two St. John’s Anglican Churches have already stood on the site of the present cathedral. The first was built of wood as early as 1681 and was said to be “totally destitute of beauty or comfort”. The second was constructed with English brick about 1720 when the first fell in disrepair and became too small.