Table of Contents
- 1 Does Blue Cross Blue Shield cover gastric sleeve surgery?
- 2 What insurance pays for gastric sleeve?
- 3 How long does it take BCBS to approve bariatric surgery?
- 4 How much is gastric sleeve out of pocket?
- 5 How do you qualify for the sleeve gastrectomy?
- 6 Can I get a gastric sleeve without insurance?
- 7 Are there any health insurance plans that cover bariatric surgery?
- 8 Are there any weight loss procedures that Blue Cross covers?
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield cover gastric sleeve surgery?
Gastric sleeve and gastric bypass are two of the leading procedures that are considered the safest and most definitive solutions to morbid obesity. The insurance companies in all the states cover these two procedures under Blue Cross Blue Shield bariatric surgery plans.
What insurance pays for gastric sleeve?
Many PPO insurance providers are now providing coverage for Gastric Sleeve, Gastric Bypass, Distal Bypass and Lap-Band Removal. Aetna, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, Cigna, Oscar, Tricare and United Health Care typically cover weight loss procedures.
How long does it take BCBS to approve bariatric surgery?
Insurance Authorization Process This process takes approximately 30 days.
How do you qualify for a gastric sleeve?
The minimum requirements to qualify for gastric sleeve surgery include:
- A body mass index (BMI) of 40 or more, OR.
- A BMI between 30 and 39.9 with a serious obesity-related health problem like diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, joint problems, and many others.
How long does a gastric sleeve last?
But they concluded that sleeve gastrectomy is effective nearly 6 years after the initial operation, with nearly 60% of excessive BMI still gone and a “considerable improvement or even remission” of comorbidities.
How much is gastric sleeve out of pocket?
The average cost of gastric bypass surgery is $23,000, the average cost of lap band is $14,500, and the average cost of sleeve gastrectomy surgery is $14,900. So before getting too involved, spend time determining if your insurance will cover weight loss surgery.
How do you qualify for the sleeve gastrectomy?
In general, sleeve gastrectomy surgery could be an option for you if:
- Your body mass index (BMI) is 40 or higher (extreme obesity).
- Your BMI is 35 to 39.9 (obesity), and you have a serious weight-related health problem, such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure or severe sleep apnea.
Can I get a gastric sleeve without insurance?
Gastric sleeve or sleeve gastrectomy and other forms of weight loss surgery including lap bands, gastric bypass, tube gastrectomy, are not commonly available in the public hospital system. Therefore, without health insurance, you must fund your surgery in the private hospital system.
Is the gastric sleeve covered by Blue Cross and blue shield?
Each Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield California insurance policy can vary on what weight management or bariatric and gastric surgery expenses are covered or excluded, so it may be easier to have our Gastric Sleeve Insurance Coordinators verify your Blue Cross or Blue Shield Gastric Sleeve Surgery coverage for you.
Can you have a second bariatric surgery with Blue Cross?
If this is the case and you find a second surgery or procedure is needed, you might find that Blue Cross Blue Shield does provide coverage for a second surgery as long as you followed post-operative instructions and made lifestyle changes for success as well as turned to the bariatric surgeon and other sources for additional help.
Are there any health insurance plans that cover bariatric surgery?
Yes, Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield of California will cover your Gastric Sleeve Surgery as long as your insurance plan’s requirements for bariatric surgery are met.
Are there any weight loss procedures that Blue Cross covers?
The weight loss procedures that Blue Cross covers include. While Blue Cross does cover most of the weight loss procedures there are a few that they do not. These include: